The term "slicks" refers to publications that used glossy, or slick paper. This paper was made of rag-content stock and the resulting magazine often cost over double that of a pulp. Pulps were got their name from the paoer they were published on. Pulp paper is the fibrous paper used in newsprint. Well known slick magazines include Harper's and The Century (Haining 13).